Monday, November 7, 2011

First Time

K, so yesterday was a bit crazy and unique because they only had me do Junior Primary so all the women could listen to the Visiting Teaching Conference for R.S. It went okay. I only had about 7 minutes so I ended up only starting to teach Reverence is Love. Got some good feedback that instead of the flip chart, it's better to have the kids more involved so holding each picture up individually. That makes a lot more sense. I just need to print them on harder paper then. Also, I know there are tons and tons of ideas on how to have kids pick the songs... dice, apron with strips, pop sticks, cut outs with numbers. I'm just a little confused on how to prepare for that. So, do I just have like 5 or 6 songs prepared to teach them or do I only do that with songs they already know. And the problem there is I have no idea what they do or don't know. It's easy to do that for the wiggle songs but for opening song, we sang one they didn't know. I guess if any of you out there have advice on that, it would be great! I feel like I have all these expectations to live up to. Yesterday, half of the kids sang, but the other half just stared at me. :) Our pianist said I should give kids something to wear or hold each time they participate. I'll have to think on that. I'm really hoping and praying that creative inspiration will flow to me soon. Maybe it's because I haven't been set apart yet. I need that!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're doing much better than you think you are. I didn't print my "flip chat" stuff on harder paper so the children could old them. Instead I would back it with colored construction paper or use place them in a clear sleeve. Both help a lot and are often sufficient to be held up. As for "picking songs", I ALWAYS had the songs picked with maybe one or two "you pick" options for the children. I would pick songs we were working on for the primary program so it would give us a chance to review them, or just songs I knew they knew already, or pick songs I we had learned previously, or songs that I wanted to teach them. In general there would be 4-program songs(or songs I know they know well), 2-wiggle songs, 1-nothing particular song. I often felt that as a chorister I needed to "over-plan/prepare" in order to make it though each Sunday. Always have a back-up plan handy. Like a "song jar" (jar with slips of paper with songs to sing on them. When I started I had a wand with feathers and ribbon on the end. It was to lead the music with. I would pick children to come up and help by leading that portion of the song. I say "when I started" because our cat destroyed it. The easiest thing to hold is a visual for the song.
    The two best pieces of advice I was given and pass on are:
    1. Sing Loud- when you sing loud they will sing loud. Don't worry if you're not a singer or have a great voice, if you're singing with confidence and so they can hear you they will sing.
    2. Smile and show lots of enthusiasm
    If you have those two things EVERYTHING else will be okay. Good Luck. I know that you'll be able to be great.
    PS they don't have to set you apart, my bishop actually discouraged it. You have been given/extended this calling and confirmed by the congregation. You are qualified to do it, the Lord has already qualified you and you can do it! Just do you're best and don't try to be anyone else! Each chorister has their own style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention that if the children are getting board of singing the same songs each week mix it up by having them "do" things while they sing...
    Sing while doing action x. "x" could be standing on one leg, hands patting their stomach, or head, or both, it could be acting like an animal action.

    ReplyDelete